- square mile
- nounan area of 640 acres (Freq. 5)• Hyponyms: ↑section
* * *noun: a unit of area equal to a square one mile long on each side — see measure table
* * *a unit of area measurement equal to a square measuring one mile on each side; 2.59 square kilometers. Abbr.: mi2, sq. mi.
* * *square mile1. See square foot above2. (usu with caps) the City of London, specif the area around and incl the Bank of England3. Financial life, activities, etc in the City of London (figurative)• • •Main Entry: ↑square
* * *a system for measuring area:▪144 square inches = ▪1 square foot or 0.0929 square meter▪9 square feet = ▪1 square yard or 0.8361 square meter▪30¼ square yards = ▪1 square rod or 25.293 square meters▪160 square rods = ▪1 acre or 0.4047 hectare▪640 acres = ▪1 square mile or 1 section or 258.9998 hectares▪36 sections = ▪1 townshipsquare mile,a unit of square measure, equal to an area 1 mile by 1 mile or 258.9998 hectares.
* * *a name used for the City of London, where there are many banks and financial businesses
Useful english dictionary. 2012.